Monday, May 27, 2013

Easy Meal Mondays! Chicken Curry in a Hurry


Hey there everyone!  So this week I wanted to share one of my favorite meals for making with the leftovers from a Rotisserie chicken.  Normally whenever I go to CostCo I pick up a rotisserie chicken and we have a salad and some of the chicken that night for dinner.  Then I take the rest of the chicken off of the bones of the chicken and freeze it back.  This leftover chicken is a bit more than half of a chicken and is what I use for this recipe.  (If you are really industrious you could also make chicken stock out of the chicken carcass, but I never feel up to doing that.)  This way Jason and I get two main dinners from one chicken and usually a few lunch portions of the chicken curry also.  

Adapted from Real Simple

Ingredients
1 cup brown rice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt or 1 can coconut milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained

Directions
  1. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
  2. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.
  3. Sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
  4. Add the yogurt (or coconut milk) and cream and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and tomatoes. Add in the chicken and cook for a few minutes longer.  Remove from heat.  
  5. Add the rice into individual bowls and add the chicken and sauce mix over the top.  Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.  This can also be good with some cashews sprinkled on top.  

Let me know if you try this!  We love it and hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment