Monday, May 13, 2013

Easy Meal Mondays! 13 Bean Chili


Hello again everyone and welcome to another easy meal monday installment.  So on Saturday, Jason and I were cleaning out the pantry and I found a bag of 13 bean soup mix that I had bought ages ago and Jason said, lets make that for lunches this week!  I was very surprised because he almost never wants to make soup, so I took him up on it and it was very good, so I thought I would share it with all of you.  

13 Bean Chili (adapted from the directions on the back of the bag of 13 bean soup mix)
YIELD: 8-10 Servings
PREP TIME:  24 hours
COOK TIME: 3 hours
TOTAL TIME: 27 hours

Ingredients:
1.25 cups of Bob’s Red Mill 13 Bean Soup Mix (one 29 ounce bag)
4 bay leaves
2 cubes of beef bullion
1 pound browned ground beef (drained) (or turkey which is what I used)
1 chopped medium onion
2 T. garlic (and more as desired)
16 oz. of tomato sauce (two cans)
1 cup of red cooking wine
1-2 T. chili powder
.5-1 tsp. salt
1 T. fresh ground pepper
1-2 T. paprika

Directions:
Soak the bean soup mix overnight (for about 16-24 hours) or soften by boiling five minutes and allowing to soak for at least one hour.  Drain the soup mix after it has soaked and rinse all of the beans.  Cover the beans with water in a pot and simmer with the bay leaves until the beans are tender.  (this should take about 1.5-3 hours)  At this point, I drained the beans and rinsed them again.  I put the beans back in the pot with the ground beef, the chopped onion, garlic, tomato sauce, red wine, chili powder, salt, ground pepper, and paprika.  I put one cup of water in a bowl with 2 cubes of beef bullion and nuked this in the microwave for 3 minutes so it boiled and the beef bullion was dissolved.  Pour this over what is in the pot and fill it with water to cover the mixture.  Simmer on low or medium low for about 1 more hour and then serve.  

We had this with crackers and a side salad and it was really good.  The leftovers have also been good.  I think next time I will add some dark chocolate to make this more hearty.  

No comments:

Post a Comment