Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Easy Meal Mondays! Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake


Hello Everyone!  This is the fourth installment in my series on easy and healthy meal options that Jason and I have made and love.  I am planning on posting one recipe every Monday that is easy to make since I very rarely have energy for anything more than easy.   This recipe is from the blog SkinnyTaste.com and is for Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake.  Jason and I have made this every other week or so for the last few months.  We have been trying to work more healthy and homemade meals into our recipe rotation and this is one that we found is easy to make on a weeknight because we do most of the prep work ahead of time.  I will make the pesto in large batches when I can get my hands on fresh basil for cheap and then freeze it into ice cube trays.  Then when I defrost my chicken, I just take out a few ice cubes and defrost those by putting them in a small bowl and warming the bowl with hot water.  


Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake
YIELD: 4 servings
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 (16 oz total) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 4 tsp Skinny Basil Pesto
  • 1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
  • 6 tbsp (1.5 oz) shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
  • 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
Wash chicken and dry with a paper towel. Slice chicken breast horizontally to create 4 thinner cutlets. Season lightly with salt and fresh pepper.

Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment for easy clean-up.

Place the chicken on prepared baking sheet. Spread 1 tsp of skinny pesto over each piece of chicken.

Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from oven; top with tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

To Grill: Grill chicken over medium flame on both sides until cooked through in the center.  Lower flame, top chicken with tomatoes and cheese, and close grill until cheese melts.

1 comment: