Monday, April 29, 2013

Easy Meal Mondays! Summer Macaroni Salad

Hello Everyone!  This is the seventh installment in my series on easy and healthy meal options that Jason and I have made and love.  This recipe is again from SkinnyTaste.com.  Jason and I both love this blog and we follow and make almost everything this blogger does!  This recipe for a summer macaroni salad is so refreshing and is perfect to bring to summer barbecues and potlucks (I don't know what people outside of the midwest call these, but here they are potlucks).  Jason does not think that this is a good recipe just to make for dinner, but I think it is perfect for that since I love macaroni salad.  This is really good fresh, but I liked it better the second day.  By then all of the flavors have melded together and it is very cold.  Let me know what you think about this and if you enjoy it as much as we do!

Summer Macaroni Salad

YIELD: 16 cups (only 115 calories per cup)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes


Ingredients:
  • 16 oz uncooked elbows
  • 4 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half (I got the mini heirloom tomatoes and they were lovely in this)
  • 2 cups (1 small) zucchini, sliced and quartered
  • 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 7 tbsp light mayonnaise (I used the Olive oil mayo, but I think it would taste better with miracle whip, though we don't use this much since it has high fructose corn syrup)
  • 2 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp fat free Greek yogurt (plain - using vanilla would be a mistake :) )
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Cook the pasta in generously salted water according to package directions.  Drain and rinse with cold water.  (I rinsed for quite a while with cold water because I like pasta salad to be very cold) 

In a medium bowl, combine onions, mayonaise,  vinegar, yogurt, mustard, oregano, garlic powder; mix well.  Add tomatoes (and any juice from the tomato), zucchini, pasta, salt and pepper to taste.  Toss well and place in a large serving bowl.  Enjoy!

Let me know what you think!  I would love to see how you make this and what tweeks you make to it!

FTC: This is not a sponsored blog post.  All of the products I have mentioned and have listed were purchased with my own money and all reviews are my honest opinions.  I am an amazon associate and the links in this post may go to amazon for possible purchases.

No comments:

Post a Comment